The Department of Pharmacy, consistent with the mission of Jackson General Hospital, places a high priority on providing high quality pharmaceutical care to its patients in a safe and efficient manner.
Pharmacy services are provided to Jackson General Hospital patients and staff by a team of two pharmacists and three pharmacy technicians. Pharmacy hours of operation are from 8:00am to 6:00pm weekdays and 8:00am to 4:30pm weekends and holidays. Pharmacist offer on-call clinical services 24 hours a day to assist the multidisciplinary healthcare team in optimizing the pharmaceutical care of the patients.
Patient medication distribution is provided by a secure computerized medication management, Meditech®, designed to enhance patient safety and improve medication management. The system uses bedside verification bar-code scanning technology to ensure precise medication delivery in combination with an automated Omnicell® medication storage cabinet to reduce medication errors and seamlessly manage patient medication distribution.
The clinical services provided by our pharmacists and pharmacy technicians include then following medication services:
• Procurement, distribution, and control of drug products used in hospital
• Drug order review
• Monitoring drug therapy to ensure optimal patient care while minimizing drug reactions
• Preparing sterile intravenous admixture compounds consistent with USP <797> practice guidelines
• Drug information support for healthcare providers
• Designing, implementing, and evaluating therapeutic regimens to produce best possible patient outcomes
• Aminoglycoside and vancomycin pharmacokinetic dosing
• Pharmacist consults for other healthcare providers regarding medication-therapy selection and management
• Pharmacist and physician cooperation in the development of order sets
• Employee outpatient prescription dispensing
• Patient drug renal dosing
• Monitoring patients on anticoagulant therapy
• Designing and implementing drug education for staff and patients
Hospital Medication Formulary:
Jackson General Hospital physicians and pharmacists serve on the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee which functions to optimize patient medication management in a safe and cost-effective manner. The committee evaluates safety, effectiveness, cost, and minimization of duplicate medications in the same drug class. The hospital formulary is regularly reviewed as new drugs are developed and more clinical information is published in the medical literature.